Note: Most recent changes/updates are marked in red
THE PIT is an on-line workshop/critique group for writers. You get your work critiqued in exchange for critiquing the work of others, both of which are invaluable ways to improve your writing. THE PIT is free (except for the work of doing critiques!).
How does it work? In short, every 2 weeks a reasonable number of short works (usually 4-6) are posted and participants must critique all of those works. As long as participants are actively participating in the group they may submit works of their own for future critique. For more details see the rules below. To join click here
- Warning to those who consider joining: You will probably have your feelings hurt (though not intentionally). You will have to read many works and write many critiques (though this ensures your work will be read and critiqued by many).
- The atmosphere in this group will always be warm, professional, and helpful. Personal attacks, debates, and anything deemed inappropriate by the moderator(s) will not be tolerated. Participants who conduct themselves inappropriately will be warned and/or banned from the group at the moderators' discretion.
- Works for critique will be submitted to the moderator who will queue and post works in 2 week cycles in a volume that will ideally allow all participants to read and critique all of the works posted during that 2 week cycle. A single work will consist of either a short story of no more than 10,000 words or chapter(s) of a novel/novella of no more than 10,000 words combined and an outline for the entire novel/novella. Excluding cases of extreme shortages in submissions no author will have more than one work posted for critique during any 2 week critique cycle.
- Participants will remain in active standing by providing meaningful critiques of all of the works posted during each 2 week cycle. Determination of whether critiques are meaningful will be left solely to the moderator(s), but quality critiques will generally include specific, detailed analysis of positive/strong and negative/weak aspects of the work, recommendations for improving the work, and be at least 200 words in length.
- Participants who do not critique all works posted during a 2 week cycle will be ineligible to have their work critiqued in the following cycle. New members will not have work posted for critique until they are an active member for 1 full 2 week critique cycle. Members who post no critiques for more than 2 months will be removed from the group.
- Works in the critique queue will be removed at the authors request but will not be substituted with another work (all newly submitted works go to the end of the queue).
- Members may submit any number of works for critique with the understanding that no single member will have more than one work critiqued during any 2 week critique cycle.
- Authors of works subject to critique may not respond to critiques with debate, rebuttals, explanations, etc. Authors of works subject to critique may respond to critiques for clarification publicly on the forum. Authors of works may never at any time respond to critiques privately by email, personal message, etc.
- Unless specifically assigned the task by the moderator(s) or requested by a member, members may not critique other member's critiques. If you feel a inappropriate critique has been given contact a moderator.
- Erotic/adult themed works submitted for critique will not be posted in whole to the group, but a request for readers will be posted in their place. Participants who wish to read these works will contact the moderator and state that they are 18 years of age or older to receive a copy of the work.
- Members are never to attempt to enforce these rules and should contact the moderator(s) in the case of a violation.
- These rules are a work in progress and my be changed/updated in whole or in part at any time.
To join the group click here
. Any questions should be addressed to the moderator (email@example.com